Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tuesday Trips - Scotland

One place I've always wanted to go but have not yet been able to is Scotland. Why? I can't really explain. I know as much about Scotland as the average Jane ... Loch Ness, bagpipes, haggis, and the like.

Many of my favorite movies are set in Scotland or have Scottish themes: Braveheart, Rob Roy, Local Hero, So I Married an Axe Murderer.

In my first go-round at college, I chose a scene from Mary of Scotland by Maxwell Anderson. I went to the Scottish doodads store and got 'props'. I still can recite some of the dialog from memory ... and this has been nearly 30 years ago.

I've been doubled over laughing at the "Scottish" skits that Mike Myers did on Saturday Night Live. Here's my favorite quote from the three that I saw: "Scotch is a drink. Scots are a people. But we're BOTH quite tasty!" The 3rd sketch had Patrick Stewart in it and while I don't remember the specific item he was talking about anymore, I can tell you that the sequence is repeated at least 3-4 times a week in my house: "There are three sizes of (whatever): Wee, not-so-wee, and FRICKING HUGE!"

Travelocity has a flight plus 13 nights hotel package for $2168. CheapTickets has a package from $2237. Priceline.com from $2514. Expedia from $2327 ... and that's for one person. Do I have my work cut out for me or what?

Other destinations I would like to visit: Greece, Russia, Rio de Janeiro, Hawaii (island of Kauai especially).

Anyway, I'll try to review a different destination each week. Got any places you'd like me to look up for you? List them in a comment!

1 comment:

  1. LOL - Patrick Stewart on SNL was a riot. I don't remember the specifics of that skit either, though I do remember the cakes with the ladies using the toilet skit and laughed my arce off.

    Scotland... wow. I wish. LOL ;o)

    ReplyDelete