Friday, January 8, 2016

Friday Bookish Post - January 8, 2016

    

Thanks to Freda from "Freda's Voice" and Gilion at "Rose City Reader" for hosting these bookish link-up!  Click one of the buttons to go to the link-up page.

(click on the cover to go to GoodReads)


SYNOPSIS

Sean and Sara are supposed to have a relaxing vacation in Vail, but it all goes up in a puff of powder when there’s a suspicious death on the mountain. And the deceased is not just anyone; it’s Adrian Blackwell, a two-time Olympic skiing gold medalist.

Rumor has it Adrian died in a skiing accident, but he was too skilled for Sara to accept that as fact. But she doesn’t want to disappoint Sean by ruining his ski trip, even though she’s convinced Adrian was murdered and she’s itching to find the killer.

Sean has never been able to say no to Sara, but this time he plans to. However, all it takes a call from their PI firm back in Albany to change his mind. A job’s come in to investigate Adrian’s death, and his agent is the one footing the bill, leaving Sean with more questions than answers.

Yet one major problem remains: their New York State PI licenses hold no legal authority in Colorado. They still can’t help but look into Adrian’s death on the sly, though. This case will definitely involve some underhanded tactics, all while trying to dodge the local police over the course of the investigation.

~~~oOo~~~

FRIDAY 56
(from 58%, or location 1125 on the Kindle)

"Hey, we were here first," a man in his fifties bellowed above the crowd.  His squat frame was easily carrying an extra fifty pounds.

Sean faced him and put on a polite smile. "We had reservations."  He didn't mention that they were held under the name of Benjamin Franklin."

(the above was edited 1/9 to correct two errors.)

~~~oOo~~~

BOOK BEGINNINGS
(OK, you caught me.  This quote is from the first page or two of the book, not the very beginning.)

"He was sitting there thinking about how love the day had been.  No murder.  No mention of murder.  Just him and Sara relaxing."

~~~oOo~~~

Is the quote from the Friday 56 portion or the Book Beginnings section more of an enticement for you?

~~~oOo~~~

edited to add:
Book Blogger Hop    

Thanks to Billy B at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicated Writer and  Ramona At Create With Joy for hosting these link-ups.  I only found the Book Blogger Hop through Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews and Ramona is just so cool I have to do Friendship Friday as well!

Questions for the Book Blogger Hop:

Have you made any improvements on your blog since your started your blog? 

Scads and scads!  I've made more changes to my blog than the number of reading challenges I've enrolled in this year!

Did you change the format? 

When I started blogging in July of 2007, I believe my blog had a purple-y theme, because purple is my favorite color.  Then I switched to a wine-colored background with a map of the earth motif.  Then, when I found my blog turning into more of a book blog than anything else, I figured I should get something 'bookish'.   There may have been others...I just don't remember. ;)
Did you change your header? 

Well, there were the changes that came with the color changes.  Then in some kind of blog challenge last year I added the tag line "Life happens on the back porch."
Did you add or remove items from your side bar? 

A while back I switched to the format/layout I have today (1 column of text and 2 sidebars).  I had had only one sidebar on the left side for a couple of years, but when I had all my reading challenge buttons and counters in the sidebar, those puppies went on forEVER!

~~~oOo~~~

Now I've got a question for y'all:

I've been thinking of changing the blog name to reflect my new focus on books and writing.  If you were faced with the same question, would you keep the familiar name or go for something more bookish?

(from jucoolimages.com)

26 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun winter weekend read. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by my Friday post.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin Frankly...catchy name. :-)

    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek, Sherry. I think that was supposed to be Franklin and my fingers flubbed it up.

      Delete
  3. My family and I used to ski and I love Colorado, so this book is appealing to me. Sounds like a mystery I'd enjoy reading.
    My Friday post features THE TIME IN BETWEEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom went to college in Colorado Springs! Heading over to your site, Sandra!

      Delete
  4. I loved the Carolyn Arnold book that I've read and this looks really fun. I like your blog layout and I like your name. It's also not strictly bookish so you can blog about whatever interests you instead of feeling like you have to stick to certain topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice on how your blog developed.

    I wouldn't change the name because readers know you by your blog name, but that is just me. I don't like change. :)

    So glad to see you joined the Blog Blogger Hop.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* Me either, Elizabeth! And the title kind of makes me nostalgic..my daughter was 4 years old when I started blogging.

      Delete
  6. The above snippets sure draw you in. I think I would like to read this one. The cover art is charming and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it, LadyD? It was great to have a married pi team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That 56 made me giggle! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Freda! Thanks for stopping by. Maybe I ought to think about enclosing this porch. It's a little COLD out here! ;)

      Delete
  9. I like the beginning and 56 - I'll be reading this book:) - I would keep the blog name the same - people are used to it and changing it could confuse followers - just my thought. Here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Maria. And thanks for weighing in on my blog question!

      Delete
  10. I haven't a good mystery for a while. I hope you're enjoying this one.

    I decided to change my blog last year. Instead of changing the name I just started a new blog. The last post on my old blog was one that redirects you to my new one. We had moved to a different community quite a distance away and my old blog title reflecte that place more than our new one. I didn't want to change the name because of this. My new blog name is in honour of my favourite book, rather than a reflection of where I live, so if we move again I can keep the same name. Sometimes change is a good thing, but not everyone likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense, William. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with starting a second blog!

      Delete
  11. Hello!
    I love that you've read so many mysteries lately. I've been itching to try some more mysteries, so it looks like I've come to the right place!

    I've changed my blog around quite a bit too. Takes a lot of experimenting just to find the right combination!

    Happy Blog Hopping this week!

    Jude-- http://judesenglish10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah mysteries are like bread and butter to me, Jude! :O)

      Delete
  12. What a cute cover it is <3

    I think it depends, if you have a bookish story behind the blog name than I would write a piece about that instead of changing the name.

    If not, than yes I would change it to something more bookish that reflects back in your posts.

    I personally find that yours really stands out, in a good way ;)

    Our BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiza. That's good to hear! The name Back Porchervations comes from observations made while on my back porch!

      Delete
  13. This would be a fun cozy to snuggle up with next week. Supposed to get down to freezing:) Brrr!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/01/08/the-friday-56-91-treasure-seed-savers-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Laura! Well, thank goodness my Kindle is STOCKED! *lol*

      Delete
  14. I love a good cozy! Thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard of this series yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it's book 10, Karen! I think they started out as police detectives, then got married, then started the agency. Not sure, because this was my first in the series as well!

      Delete